The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standing Etiquette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Elektrastasia Discussion Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chancandre Aquitaine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Standing Etiquette Reply with quote

I hope this is the right forum for this topic. In any case I believe that instructions like this will have a permanent place in the new web information hub.

There seems to be a little confusion about who should stand up for whom and when. While this is not an issue in places like the White Rose Room it clearly is in Virtualia.

Here is the etiquette as normally practised in the Westrenne nations, including Northwest Arkadya, Jenilow and Novaria:

Standing Etiquette

Generally, all brunettes will stand when a blonde enters a room or rises to leave. They will not be seated until she is.

An exception is when the blonde is notably younger or inferior in status. Obviously brunette ladies do not rise for maids. There is no obligation for a grown brunette to rise for a teenaged blonde. If she does, this is regarded as a compliment.

Blondes do not rise for brunettes unless they are superior in status; but they do return reverence to brunettes.

Teenagers should rise for all adults except in very informal circumstances.

All maidens should rise for their superiors - the Headmistress of the College or Praefecta Morum, for example.

When functions are "active" this will override some of the etiquette. In a teaching context for example, a brunette teacher will not rise for blonde pupils - though out of the classroom or seminar room (or informal teaching environment) she will. In this respect, as in all others, an active teacher becomes the superior even of the headmistress while the latter is in statu pupillari. If this seems confusing to some Tellurians, it should be understood that hierarchical superiority resides in the function, not in the person.

Similarly, if a blonde reports to the Headmistress's office, the Headmistress will not rise.

Pupils will rise when a mistress enters or leaves the room, but not if she is seated and stands up during the course of teaching (this would be disruptive). They rise and reverence when she first enters and when she dismisses them. If she enters or leaves during the course of the lesson, they rise only.

Brunette teenagers will rise for blonde teenagers. All teenagers will rise for teenagers in a superior position (prefects etc.)

Rising when a blonde or superior enters the room is accompanied by reverence. Reverence will be returned except when hierarchical functions are specifically active. A teacher does not reverence her pupils, for example. A mistress giving discipline does not reverence the maid she is disciplining.

Reverence is normally given in both directions because each reverences the Spirit in the other, but when hierarchical roles are active, the superior is specifically, through her obedience to her function, mediating the Spirit to her inferior.

I think I have covered all main circumstances. Please feel very welcome to ask questions on this thread.
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you so much, Most Honourable Raya! May I add 2 lines?
In an office or school (among teachers) brunettes won't rise for their blonde colleagues, a brunette wont rise for her blonde secretary...but this will happen at the workplace. Out of the office or school, the usual rules will apply.

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, honoured Raya, for posting proper standing etiquette. This ought to make it easier for those of us in doubt.
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati, Honored Raya:

Will Aristasian etiquette be covered in the 101 course? I have picked up bits and pieces by trial and error and from observation, but would find a refresher immensely useful.

In addition to standing and reverencing, I believe that a review of Aristasian speech, what is acceptable and what is less than desirable, would be helpful to me. I am sure some of the other novice scholars could chime in with suggestions, but I wanted to share some ideas.

Respectfully yours,
Jullianna Juliesse
Charlotte Eleanor Laraway
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati!

Thank you for the wonderful idea Miss Juliesse. I would find that very valuable as well and would hereby like to "chime in".

It would be nice if we could go over most situations one is likely to get into in the different "parts" of Aristasia-in-Elektraspace - on the Fora , in the Rosary and in Virchers ( for example: Greeting (what to say to whom, different kinds of references and when to make them), introducing, forms of adress, how to say no, ask for clarification or disagree politely, leaving and entering rooms as groups, accepting gifts /offers, asking for a dance).
If it is possible, I would also greatly appreciate if the differences of ettiquette in the different parts of Aristasia would be discussed - or maybe just those provinces from which the maids of the course are, as well as the differences for blondes and brunettes / teens and adults.

We could also watch manner-kinnies from Kadoria and Quirinelle together (I just found these yesterday for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPNnP2iULac&feature=related , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNSZ5OfpQbY&feature=channel_page)

These are only suggestions of course. If they do not fit in with what is planed, that is perfectly alright.

Rayati,
Charlotte
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing the manner kinnies, Miss Charlotte! If only more people behaved in a civilized fashion today. A blonde can wish. . .
Miss Elise

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do try my best, however here is a question I must pose about Aristasian etiquette in virtualia. I often find that digging through my very large inventory for the appropriate reverence animation makes it so I am distressingly late in greeting other ladies.

Is it acceptable to use a typed "emote" to get the idea of reverence across, so that I don't seem rude with my lateness to bow in an appropriate fashion?
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Miss Clowes,

If you will meet me after class tomorrow (Saturday) I'll help you to hotkey a reverence so that you need only either type in a few letters or press one key to cause your avatar to perform it.

Do any of you other girls know how to do this?
PheobeJoya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know how to do this Miss Poppy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Elektrastasia Discussion Group All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: