The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Big News
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Blue Camellia Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Some Big News Reply with quote

I tried to put this in the Chatterbox, but the Chatterbox won't let me post a new topic. I apologize for putting it here, but I have some Big News!

One--my insomnia is healed!! To make a long story short, it is honestly a miracle. The lovely staff of a food pantry near my house anointed me with oil and prayed over me, and Dea healed me. (They have honestly had miracles happen there before, including tumors vanishing and people regaining the ability to walk.) At the time of writing, I have been three nights in a row without sleeping drugs, which I have not done in four years. As I have been getting to sleep easily, I have no reason to think that it won't continue.

Which leads me to my next piece of Big News...

Two--as you know, I have been trying and failing for months to find a job. Well, the lovely food pantry people also prayed for me to find a job and encouraged me to look even at things that seemed outlandish or silly. So, I re-considered an option I had once considered even before Aristasia...This is the only time in my life that I may be able to do it, so I am going for it. I am going to join the Peace Corps and teach English in China.

Benefits include:
- Becoming bilingual
- Guaranteed insurance for nearly four years
- Guaranteed airfare to and from the country, even in case of family emergency
- Guaranteed housing and money to live on for two years
- Money to pay off student loans upon returning
- Something impressive to add to a resume

Of course, there are hitches in that plan. If my psychiatrist tells me tomorrow that it's a bad idea, I can't go. I have no guarantee that the Peace Corps would accept me, or that they would put me in China instead of somewhere else. Considering my education and recent health, though, it seems most likely that I will get my wish. My brunette parent does not know yet and is going to panic when it gets the news (it has been out of town), but my mother is supporting me in this venture. (Which means that she has finally stopped bearing down on me about graduate school and finding a job.)

In fact, I think that China is where Dea wants me to go. First, my insomnia was healed, which is a major deterrent for doing a lot of things. Second, despite problems with the registration system, I got the very last slot in the local community college's Chinese class. It's quite encouraging.
Sushuri Madonna
Administratrix

Location: In a strange and scary place on a long journey homeward.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so delighted that your insomnia is cured - that is SO wonderful! I heard about China but I didn't know that - that is simply the best news!

I think China is a splendid idea. Estrenne studies seem to be important for Aristasia. I keep finding myself drawn to Japanese, even though learning Spanish is what is important for me right now.

I wonder if Chinese will also have an Aristasian significance - the philosophy underlying the Japanese language is fascinating from our point of view. Also I wonder if we can extend our outreach to pettes in China or to Chinese pettes in the West.

While we are on the subject, I want to announce that I will try again this Rhavedi (Saturday) to teach Very Elementary Japanese. We will start at 11:30 a.m. PDT.

I am calling this class (well it is a little pretentious to call it a class) "Japanese for Aristasians" because as well as looking at the very-basics of the language we shall be considering some of the thought-processes that lie behind Japanese modes of expression and how they relate to Aristasian thought.

Hope to see some of you there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Niami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Yu,

This is big news indeed! To hear that you have slept well these past few nights is beyond wonderful. In fact it has given me a bit of hope for myself, as now and then I have trouble sleeping. I prayed and will continue to pray for you in this matter.

As for the Peace Corp, wonderful opportunity, I hear. To think of you off to China makes me giddy (in the good sort of way). I hope the hitches are but tiny slopes for you. You are wonderful, patient teacher ,whom, as i have already experience first hand, is skilled in the ways of instruction.

I have a few questions though! Will you be teaching children or adults? Is there a Peace Corps community you will be joining? I would hate to think that you would be over there will no immediate support. I imagine they would provide this, but i am just curious.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Madonna-chei and Miss Aeon!

I think I would be teaching somewhere around the late teens/early twenties range. Since I have a degree in English Literature, I stand a good chance of getting placed in a small university.

I would not be joining a Peace Corps community. I would be on my own, though it is possible that there would be non-Chinese from other organizations around me. During the summer, when school is out, I would join other Peace Corps members for special assignments.

I would spend the first eight to twelve weeks with a host family, getting my Peace Corps training, so I should hope that they would like me enough for me to be able to rely on them in case of emergency. I should hope that I would get to know my fellow teachers well enough for the same, too.

If some extreme emergency should require my evacuation, the Peace Corps would step in and get me out.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Psychiatrist thinks that the Peace Corps in China is an excellent idea! I'm good to apply!
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Yu, should I think that the swap we set up by mail has become a "bluff"?
Should I say "farewell" to the wool scarf and mittens that I was waiting from you?

I'm sorry for bringing up these things on the public forum. But, after so many messages and emails from me, and a complete silence from you, I think I have all the rights to be a little angry...

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my goodness, I am so sorry, Miss Viola! Yes, you are right to be angry. I have not been checking my Elektrapost, so I have not gotten your messages. No, the trade was not a bluff. I am working on your scarf and mittens. I would not be leaving for China for at least a year, and they will be finished much sooner than that.

Between the perpetual job hunt, my mother's assignments, and now a death in the family, I have scarcely been on my ordinator for two months.

If you should wish me to send the books back, I will do so, and you may keep the jewelry.
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm *so* happy to hear this, Miss Yu!
:smiles:
I'll wait for the scarf and mittens, I'm sure you'll make a gorgeous job!
Maybe you can knit some things and sell them on etsy? You can also make things "on demand", on etsy? Just a little idea....

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad to hear all this good news, Mengxia-chei. I was just wondering about the Chinese government in connection to the Peace Corps. Are they on friendly terms?
Miss Aster Leland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wonderful news! What a fantastic opportunity! You're right, it does seem as though Dea has swept some of your burdens away. I hope she continues to do so.

(Psst- does this mean, in addition to Very Elementary Japanese, we can hope for some Very Elementary Mandarin? Though any stories of your adventures will be exciting, I'm sure.)
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more hurdle through which you have successfully passed, Meimei. I am just so happy and full of hope for you, darling. You must let me know if you can receive mail at your present address; I would love to send you mail again!

WIth love,
Jiejie
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honoured Sarachenya: Thank you, ma'am! To my knowledge, the Peace Corps is on friendly terms with the Chinese government. One of the reasons I chose the Peace Corps is that they have a good, well-established reputation worldwide.

Miss Leland: Well, the Not-So-Elementary Japanese classes should be resuming soon. I already know some Mandarin and will be taking more classes on that before I go. I could certainly teach Mandarin if someone wanted it. It would have to be done in voice, though; it is just too difficult to pick up a tonal language by paper alone.

Jiejie: Thank you! My parents would panic if I got letters at my current address, I am afraid. (Though if you could send my book this way, if you are done with it, they are used to my getting packages from Elektrabay and the Amazon marketplace.)
Sushuri Madonna
Administratrix

Location: In a strange and scary place on a long journey homeward.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so delighted that the current seems to be flowing in your favor again. You really deserve it after such a long and difficult time.

My only (rather selfish) concern is that I hope you have a good enough elektra connexion to have good contact with us all - we are missing you like crazy even now!

I'd like to learn some Mandarin. I feel very unsure of my ability to learn a tonal language, but I do find the idea fascinating.

Bless you, dear Yu-chei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Minami Kohime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't hear much from you for so long and now it seems that you saved all the good news for now!

I am so glad Dea has brightened your path like that, Yu-chei. I will be cheering for your success! I hope everything will go smoothly for you.

Rayati!
Sarah Lia Iridia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

祝你一路平安.... {zhu/jhu4 ni3 yi2 lu4 ping2 an1 !}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Blue Camellia Club All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: