The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miss Allen's Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Blue Camellia Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Miss Allen's Fear Reply with quote

I listened to Miss Allen's song 'The Fear' recently and it hit a nerve. I felt like crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6DlOQIwaY

Miss Lilly Allen wrote:
I want to be rich and I want lots of money
I donít care about clever I donít care about funny
I want loads of clothes and I want ****loads of diamonds
I heard people die while they are trying to find them

And Iíll take my clothes off and it will be shameless
Cuz everyone knows thatís how you get famous
Iíll look at the sun and Iíll look in the mirror
Iím on the right track yeah Iím on to a winner

[Chorus]
I donít know whatís right and whatís real anymore
I donít know how Iím meant to feel anymore
When do you think it will all become clear?
ĎCuz Iím being taken over by The Fear

Lifeís about film stars and less about mothers - </3
Itís all about fast cars concussing each other
But it doesnít matter cause Iím packing plastic
and thatís what makes my life so ****ing fantastic

And I am a weapon of massive consumption
And its not my fault itís how Iím programmed to function
Iíll look at the sun and Iíll look in the mirror
Iím on the right track yeah we're on to a winner

Chorus
ĎCuz Iím being taken over by The Fear

[Bridge]
Forget about guns and forget ammunition
Cause Iím killing them all on my own little mission
Now Iím not a saint but Iím not a sinner
Now everything's cool as long as Iím gettin thinner

[Chorus]
ĎCause Iím being taken over by fear

When I listened closely, the disparity between her verses and her chorus nearly brought me to tears. In particular the line- "And it's not my fault itís how Iím programmed to function."

I'm curious to hear other Pettes reactions? Do you dismiss this piece as yet more pit nonsense? Is it a plea? Is she eloquently stating our own dilemmas?

I do realize she does not shy away from coarse language, herself. In spite of which, I must confess to being a fan of Miss Allen's. Some of her other songs, like LDN, similarly depict a contrast between the baseness of the pit to an idealistic vision. Her very lovely voice and the sweet melodies are such a contrast to the questions she raises about the real difficulties of living in Telluria. So I am tempted to forgive her the indiscretions of polite company (because I don't see the language so much as gratuitous but as her knowing her audience) in service to her offering a higher understanding through gentle questioning.

I think she's terribly clever and her voice is golden. I suppose my question is- can we forgive the lesser indiscretions in favour of a greater service?

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil
Sushuri Madonna
Administratrix

Location: In a strange and scary place on a long journey homeward.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of whether one forgives her is an individual one, of course. As a soul, of course one must forgive her. As an artist - well that could be a different matter. Is she elevating our souls or degrading them?

It is fascinating that the character of the song (who, of course is not necessarily Miss Allen herself) uses foul language and claims not to be a sinner. This is quite common in the Pit. Foul language is not seen as wrongdoing.

Purity of mind is a moral virtue from an Aristasian point of view, so deliberate mental pollution with foul and scatological words and images is sin. It is an offense against our own souls and the souls of those who surround us and against our Creatrix, Who made us for something better.

Now, having said that I would entirely agree that this song is questioning in a fundamental way that very point. We were made for something better than the vapid life and pointless goals that the Pit sets before us. The song could well be seen as what we sometimes call "Pit Crit".

What this song is about, it seems to me, is what life becomes when we have wholly ingested the Animal Thesis and live like reproduction-machines who no longer live to reproduce.

Would I listen to it myself? No. I try to keep away from foul language, and while I am vaguely aware of the "values" that Miss Allen is criticizing, they play no role in my life or consciousness, so I do not believe that criticizing them serves my soul in any way. They might possibly leave me with a smug feeling of "I'm not like that" if I identified more with Telluria (which would not be dreffly good for me).

As it is. the words alone (I cannot speak for the performance) leave me with the sense of "poor lost aliens" - but why do they have to collaborate by being so foul-mouthed?"

I think if I were looking for comfort I would tend to look here:

Quote:
19. Then be not bound by the world of clay, but turn your thoughts upon Eternity, and the path of light shall be made clear.

20. Forget not the power of words, for a word has all the power of a thought and a thought has power to move the earth and the heavens.

21. Therefore speak not evil in idleness, nor fall into the custom of ill speaking; but govern your words even as your actions.

22. Speak words of love and innocence, of mildness and of hope, and you shall weave a raiment of peace about your soul, and a veil of gentle light.

The Gospel of Our Mother God
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Minami Kohime

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know this song from Miss Allen. I did not watch the video, but I did read the lyrics and, for me, it fits perfectly with the context of Miss Allen's music.

What I mean is that she is a young lady who has been raisen in the Yeek and has been victim to the cultural degradation herself. But, still, although she is very far from being a role model for young ones, she is aware of her "not being an standard" for a pop singer and it has somehow raised her sensitivity to the baselessness of modern models. She once has fallen into depression because she was considered fat in comparison to other singers, and in many other ways she is always being compared to other thinner, richer and more successful people.

But, of course, instead of pursuing that sort of model for herself, she turned her music into "Pit Crit" (in fact, Miss Allen goes more for a "Yeek Crit") as Madonna-chei has stated. As a person whose soul still is part of Dea, I believe that what happened is that she did see that these things are wrong and that she should avoid falling into the traps that consumerism, vanity, among others, set for us all. But, still, she was "programmed" to act in a different way, as everybody around her, so she has little basis to acknowledge all these traps, as the foulness of bad language and of impure imagery. She has a hint of how bad it is, but some things just seem to be too carved as normal into young minds.

I, myself, do not forgive the use of foul language specially in public things, such as music and published material, for instance. Miss Allen could perfectly avoid these words and still be a very clever - and sweet-voiced - singer. But I must admit that I look at this fact with some pity, thinking that things could have been better but they did not work so well. After all, it's the Pit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Blue Camellia Club All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: