The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College Design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Sai ThamŽ College
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: College Design Reply with quote

Rayati,

At the suggestion of honoured Madonna-chei and honoured Lt. Cmdr. Strauss, I have started this thread to discuss the needs, desires and possible design of a College building at Little Aristasia.

I have visited the recreation of the historical College Building at the land owned by the University of Saskatchewan (my school in Telluria.) The layout of the recreated Snelgrove Gallery there is spacious and clean, and it bears noting that the gallery is not in any way as it appears in Physicalia. This is because avvies do not move as their fleshly counterparts do (this is obvious whenever I get into a tussle with a poseball or launch myself into flight.)

Building in Virtualia, on the whole, need to be designed for manoevreability and the draw scope of one's avvie. The College should be a place where even the newest pettes with limited camera knowledge, as well as pettes with floepable ordies, can move comfortably.

To accomodate this, I propose no smaller than clean 90 degree angles wherever possible (unless a room with some smaller angles is to be predominant, such as a lecture theatre,) and though the design may lend itself to compactness, we can always make the layout as simple as possible on the bottom and build upwards. As many stories as needed are theoretically possible (note: if someone has building experience in Virtualia and knows that the sky is not the limit, please share... also, how does one create a cellar?)

Say you had creative control over the building of the College and had suggestions or proposals for the following:

Room function: What sort of rooms are needed? How many? For example, are we to have a front hall with branching seminar rooms and a broader lecture theatre on the ground? Patio doors with courtyard space for outdoor lessons?

Number of floors: Do we need five floors? A cellar as a student lounge? A teahouse on the roof? A conservatory hall?

Space: How much do you propose we use? Where should the College be on our land (front, back, middle, nestled in a corner, "poolside"?) Once we have our hestia on the land, we can know for certain how much ground the College and its gardens can cover. Again, the aim may be to build up rather than out, since the land use will already be rather dense if we are to have shroom chairs and gardens and a beach.

Design: The interior will be splendid, I'm sure. Decorating is the easy and fun bit, but how do we want it to look from the outside? Large doors with Art Neo stained glass? Brick with creeping ivy? Polished domes and towers? Plenty of drainpipes?

The possibility for suggestions is not limited to this list, but it covers the most important matters at this point in development.

I look forward to hearing any and all suggestions. We can put the matter to a "bid" for the design - if you have AutoCAD or a blank sheet of paper and a steady hand, or any sort of programme where shapes can be coherently made, please feel free to plop a link down to your drawing here. If you would like to state your preferences or ideas, please do.

It can be as simple as a crayon sketch or as sophisticated as a Piranesi rendering, but all input from instructresses, scholars and applicants is certainly valuable, as we have no architects or qualified draftsmaids among us (to my knowledge.) But this should not deter anyone from giving her own 2d - after all, the fun for some is the dreaming, and for some it is the drawing.
Clarissa Del Giglio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati !

A question I have failed to ask to honoured Sarachenya when talking to her in Virtualia was : what are our technical limits in Little Aristasia?

Translated in Virtualian terms :
-how many prims are we allowed to have on the land?
-do some of us have the sufficient rights to giving shape to the land?
If so, the question on how to make a cellar would be resolved (by lowering the terrain in the area).
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning room function, I am sure this idea has already been considered--it might be nice for the adults to have some sort of lounge or tearoom in which teenies are not allowed. (Or a room to send the teenies off into when the adults need the rest of the College--or both!)
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think a cellar would be a wonderful place to have student "lounges" - that is, a place for the schoolgirls to do as they please, and a place for the grown-ups to be terribly boring and serious. Thank you for both of your suggestions and comments!
Sarah Lia Iridia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are either familiar with the University of Oxford or have seen the movie Shadowlands the buildings of the Magdalen College are stunningly beautiful.

Here are some pictures: http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/looking_around/buildings.shtml
http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/looking_around/gardens.shtml
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My university is building a new dormitory on campus, and they have given the students some details of what it will contain. One such detail is a small shrine on each floor for students to pray. I am rather surprised, and I think it is a wonderful idea.

Though we have the Chapel in the Embassy, I think it would be nice for the College to include a small chapel or shrine as well--it could even be just an alcove with an icon and a kneeling poseball.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Sai ThamŽ College All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: