The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sai Saraswati Public Library
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlotte Eleanor Laraway
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website looks so beautiful Miss Yu! I'm so impressed!

If I or anyone else owns books that might be of interest to the library, could I/we donate them?

Thank you so much for going through all that work.

Rayati,
Charlotte
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Julianna - Thank you! With the Amazon dot com wish list, I believe it is possible for a maiden to purchase a book (used is always good! I love giving old books new homes) and have it sent to the Library. Once I get to Oklahoma, I shall have to look to see what bookstores are around. It seems like Borders and Barnes & Noble are everywhere, though!

Miss Bethune - Thank you very much! I would feel comfortable setting up a PayPal account--I had been considering setting one up, but I was not sure how many others feel safe using PayPal. (I have always found it quite secure.) I had not thought of a P.O. box. That is an excellent idea! I must look into that, too!

Miss Laraway - Thank you! I cannot take any credit for the appearance of the Elektrasite--it is a pre-made theme for Wordpress. I just clicked the button, and they did all the work. If anyone owns a book of interest, she may certainly donate it! I am making note of books that have been donated--if you look at The Feminine Universe and A Girl Grows Up, there is a little note next to the titles. (It is always nice to be acknowledged!)

I am quite sure that anything donated by an Aristasian will be perfectly sound. I will just need to read them so that I can write an informative review! I am going to try to write a review for each new book that I add now, and start getting caught up on the books I have not reviewed yet.

I really must write myself a note to get copies of Children of the Void, The District Governess, and our Bible. (I have a bit of Nativity money--hooray!) And perhaps another copy or two of The Feminine Universe; I have a feeling that it will be one of the most popular titles.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Another new development I had forgotten about! (How could I forget? I am using it right now!)

As many of you probably know from my whining, my field ordinator Marva has been limping along on her very last cyber-chips for several weeks. The person my sister is dating works with ordinators, and managed to restore Marva to some functionality, but said there is no hope to fix her. I have finally gotten a new one! (Her name is Hex, after the wizards' ordinator in Mr. Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.)

My family is trying to persuade me to sell Marva for spare parts, but since her problem is hardware-related and we don't know which piece of hardware went poof, I do not think that would be right. There is no guarantee that anyone else will be able to get her to turn on, either.

As long as I can still coax Marva into booting up, I am going to keep her around so that the Library will be able to offer an ordinator and Elektraspace to anyone who visits on the ground. She is finicky, but she will still run Elektraspace and Virtualia. (Usually.) And, since she is running on borrowed time anyway, visitors would not need to worry about accidentally overheating her, or contracting a virus, or damaging her in some way.
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yu-chei:

We must be careful not to let my child get within striking distance (hee!) of poor Marva, lest she suffer the same fate as our dearly departed Playstion 3!!

For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, my brunette and I replaced the PS consoles for child's Nativity gift. The old PS 3 was given the hammer and maul treatment out on our patio (after we removed the game trapped inside of course!).

May Hex serve you well! Long live Hex!

Rayati,
JJ
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added a new book.

Read the review for Minuk: Ashes In the Pathway
Charlotte Eleanor Laraway
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati Miss Yu,

I just had another idea, though I am not sure it is a good one - I'll just let you decide.
Maybe the Library ought to have its own under-fora in the section "building our outpost of the motherland". Maids who have lent out the same book might like to talk about them there and you would not have to put all information in one thread.
(On another topic I'm sorry I left in such a hurry from the Rosary earlier.)

Good night, or day,
Rayati,
Charlotte
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm--that could be useful, if we have enough maidens reading the same book! Perhaps we could read a few books together and talk about them in this thread, and if that works, consider a sub-forum for discussion of reading material.

(Don't worry about needing to leave in a hurry! It happens to everyone. I'm often called away abruptly by parents.)

Don't forget--the library Elektrasite is (or should be) set so that anyone can leave a comment on a post or page, even if she does not have a Wordpress account.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New review: Mr. Peter Kreeft - Back to Virtue

I highly recommend it!
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New book - Elizabeth I: Red Rose of the House of Tudor
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New book/review: Two Treasures by Mr. Thich Nhat Hanh. A sweet little book that everymaid ought to enjoy.

I have also gotten around to adding "tags" to each of the book review to make them more easily searchable.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New review: Saint Tail - Volume 1 by Miss Megumi Tachikawa.

I believe the FoDs attacked my old printer, which I had been using to compile a physicalian encyclopaedia of Aristasian writings. It fried itself in a little over a month, so I had to get a new one. I am so pleased with the scan quality of the cover of Saint Tail volume 1!
CherieSpyker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another CS Lewis book I enjoyed reading is his Space Trilogy series. That Hideous Strength is my favorite, but it's NSFB (Not Safe for Blondes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Hideous_Strength

It's traditional, but portrayed one particular woman as manly, sadistic and bullying.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have moved off to university, the check-out process has changed slightly. Book reviews marked with the tag “in hestia” are books that I currently have with me. If you wish to check out a book that is not currently in hestia, you will have to wait for it to be fetched for the Library’s main stores, which will take an unknown amount of time.

If you would like to easily see what books are currently in-hestia, just look for "in hestia" in the tag cloud on the right-hand side of the screen.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New book/review: Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Mr. Chögyam Trungpa. I highly recommend it to everyone!
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New book/review: Galaxy Angel - Volume 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: