The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sai Saraswati Public Library
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Sai Saraswati Public Library Reply with quote

With my acceptance into graduate school for Library Science, I sense that I may soon be able to fulfill my dream of serving as a library for Aristasians. Well, I can't really really be a proper library until I move out of my parents' house, but any well-done project needs input from the outside as it progresses.

I thought it might be a good idea to start getting the "card catalogue" together. You all could tell me what you'd like to see in the library, what you think doesn't need to be here, and whatever other input a good library could need.

Whenever the library opens, I would like to have book reviews available, so I intend to start gathering those here as well.

Wheeee!

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Card Catalogue: Pre-Eclipse Fiction

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:55 pm; edited 9 times in total
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Card Catalogue: Post-Eclipse Fiction

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:54 pm; edited 20 times in total
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Card Catalogue: Post-Eclipse Comics

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 9 times in total
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Card Catalogue: Pre-Eclipse Non-Fiction

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:56 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Card Catalogue: Post-Eclipse Non-Fiction

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:55 pm; edited 20 times in total
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Process

Library "Wish List"

Books I am currently considering/pursuing or that anyone thinks I should pursue will be listed here. Since the list is getting quite long, I am transferring it to an Amazon dot com wish list. That will save everyone some scrolling!

You can view the wish list here!

Miss Carolyn Keene - The Secret Of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 1)
-------------------------- - The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 2)
-------------------------- - The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 3)
-------------------------- - The Mystery of Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 4)
-------------------------- - The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 5)
-------------------------- - The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 6)
-------------------------- - The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 7)
-------------------------- - Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 8 )
-------------------------- - The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 9)
-------------------------- - The Password to Lakespur Lake (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 10)
-------------------------- - The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 11)
-------------------------- - The Message in the Hollow Oak (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 12)
-------------------------- - The Mystery of the Ivory Charm (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 13)
-------------------------- - The Whispering Statue (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 14)
-------------------------- - The Haunted Bridge (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 15)
-------------------------- - The Clue of the Tapping Heels (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 16)
-------------------------- - The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 17)
-------------------------- - The Mystery of the Moss-Covered Mansion (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 18 )
-------------------------- - The Quest of the Missing Map (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 19)
-------------------------- - ??? (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 20)
-------------------------- - The Secret in the Old Attic (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 21)
-------------------------- - The Clue in the Crumbling Wall (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 22)
-------------------------- - The Mystery of the Tolling Bell (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 23)
-------------------------- - The Clue in the Old Album (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 24)
-------------------------- - The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 25)
-------------------------- - The Clue of the Leaning Chimney (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 26)
-------------------------- - The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 27)
-------------------------- - The Clue of the Black Keys (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 28 )
-------------------------- - Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew Mysteries, Book 29)
Mr. C.S. Lewis - The Case For Christianity
------------------- - The Inspirational Writings of C.S. Lewis
------------------- - Joyful Christian
------------------- - Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
------------------- - The World's Last Night: And Other Essays
Miss Silver Vixen - Enter Amelia Bingham
Miss Laura Ingalls Wilder - Writings to Young Women From Laura Ingalls Wilder - Volume 1: On Wisdom and Virtues
Lawrence W. Wood - Theology as History and Hermeneutics: A Post-critical Conversation Theology

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:29 am; edited 51 times in total
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good project, dear Yu-chei!
I really recommend all the issues of Faerie Magazine: I have all of them (subscription) and I store them with creat care...they're precious! (And I'm not referring to their price, but to their value!)

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the recommendation, Miss Viola! I'm glad to know that there are others who enjoy Faerie Magazine! The issue I have is just beautiful--there is an article about harps with faeries on them!

The bookstore that I got the first issue from hasn't carried the autumn issue. I am still looking for a new supplier--I'll see if I can track down back issues, too!
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Yu-chei, you may like also Faemagazine. This magazine is smaller, but more coloured, "fuller"...I love both of them!

Edited to add:
about back issues, I bought them here. It's the official FM elektrasite!

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a pre-eclipse novel by Miss Strachey called "Olivia." The movie is based on this work. Perhaps this should be added as well, in addition to:

To the North, Elizabeth Bowen
Death of the Heart, Elizabeth Bowen

as well as works by Patricia Highsmith

An excellent project, Miss Yu!

JJ
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati Mengxia-chei,

I noticed you have Mr. Quinn's "Ishmael" in there... good choice, darling! It's one of the best modern works on the formation of the Tamasic age and subsequent solutions for traditional living.

Mr. G. K. Chesterton is another author a certain Miss Sushuri and I would love to see grace your shelves!
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Viola: Ooh! More faeries! Thank you for the links! A blonde can never have too many pretty faeries to look at, I think.

Miss Juliesse: Added! I know a number of maidens are fond of the kinnie "Olivia". I hadn't thought it might be based off a book!

Miss Yatsenko: Oh, good to hear! A friend gave me that book years ago; it was my first introduction to such topics and I found it terribly impressive and insightful. What titles by Mr. Chesterton should I go after first?
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mengxia Yu wrote:
What titles by Mr. Chesterton should I go after first?

I am curious as well. He is greatly admired by Terry Pratchett and that's enough for me!

I am a huge fan of the Discworld series have the following taped to my electric icebox-

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.pdf

I have checked 15 off the list not counting Good Omens. My very favorites are these Tiffany Aching books- The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky. Though for pure deadly fun it's hard to top 'Reaper Man.' IT IS ESPECIALLY RECOMMENDED READING FOR THESE NIGHTS COMING UP TO ALL HALLOWS EVE.*

What a lovely and lively library, Miss Yu!

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil

*Really, I'm not shouting. I am attempting to speak in the very somber tones that DEATH always uses. I'm sure I've failed miserably... one needs the certain gravitas that imposing mortality upon others lends.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall add Reaper Man to the library, then! I own it and quite enjoyed it, but was not sure that other maids would.

It sounds morbid to like Death as a character, but I find that it is one of the most caring and observant characters in the Discworld books. And when Death is in a book, Miss Susan is likely to be there too--she is a pretty neat character, too!

PERHAPS DEATH TALKS A BIT MORE LIKE THIS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: