The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miss Poppy's Diary of Extraordinary Events
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Poppy at the Papaverhof! Did you know that my opa and oma lived there? When I was little, I stayed with them in their house on the Irisstraat during the summers (my room was one of the little ones with the small vertical window on the second floor). I shall now confess that the choice in design of our house on the beach in Virchers was directly inspired by memories the Papaverhof.

Two other places I remember with great fondness are the Panorama Mesdag and Madurodam. The first is the largest and most cylindrical painting you're likely to ever see and the second is the tiniest big city. But I was a 'kline meisje' back then. For grown up ladies perhaps these are not quite as wondrously delightful.

Miss Poppy, you are ever so lucky to have the Juffrouw as your guide. Many people visit Holland with a tour and only see a few museums in Amsterdam.

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Miss Finesmith! I knew you had a familial connection with Papaverhof, so that is the primary reason we went there. I have LOTS of photos of it, which I'll post at some point. Really. And I am looking forward to seeing Panorama Mesdag and Madurodam when we have the time. But we did think of you when we were at Papaverhof and imagined how it would be if it were an Aristasian settlement. Delightful thought, isn't it?

Anyway! So much has happened since I last wrote to you, darlings! We are back from Amsterdam, as you may know. Well, perhaps not. Fraulein Landgrebe lives in The Hague. And we came home.

Then! We went to an island in the north called Texel (pronounced "Tessel"), which is a very popular seaside resort and terribly crowded during the season. This is not the season. There were very few people there. Even the natives flee during the winter, and quite understandably too. It is cold, foggy, drizzly, windy, cold and very windy. Fraulein says I can add the photos later. She wants me to finish this post so that we can go to sleep. We need to get up early in the morning to go to Amsterdam AGAIN.

Sigh. Brunettes love Amsterdam. Well, I do too, really. So, my darlings, I am being sent to bed.

More later.

Love and kisses.
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darlings!

Where to begin? Shall I tell you my impressions of Fraulein Landgrebe? Well, firstly--as you know--she's VERY brunette: strong, gallant, loyal. She doesn't back down when there is trouble. She is tender and respectful with blondes but she is not above having a little laugh at them.

Oh, who are we kidding? She is not above having a little laugh at ME. Now you know. She's never unkind though, so don't think that you need to be afraid of her. If you are afraid of her anyway, come talk to me and I'll tell you something terribly embarrassing about her and that should calm your fears.

Like many brunettes, she is fair-haired. I don't know why this is so but it tends to be. Here is a photo:

She is a very fast walker, which suits me since I am too, but she is very careful of me (except when she guides me into a puddle or into a passing pedestrian for fun, the brute.) and is constantly holding my hand or arm. All this because of the ONE time I tried to exit through the entrance at that ONE place. Well, maybe I did it more than once, but certainly not endangering anyone. Well, not seriously.

And she can remember the train schedules (we have taken many trains) and knows where all the platforms are and where to catch the trams to and from the station. As a matter of fact, in Texel we were trying to find the correct bus which would take us to the wildlife refuge (where the police rehabilitate naughty seals, I think)(you know how seals can be when they go bad) and the girl at the hotel desk--very pretty and VERY blonde--stuttered and fumbled around and finally said, "Well, I THINK it's Bus Number 130...". The trouble was that there were only two bus lines in town, 28 and 29. There was no Bus Number 130. And she got the times wrong for the correct buses, too, not surprisingly. But she was terribly pretty so it didn't really matter. Fraulein figured it all out anyway, and we went to the wildlife refuge which was empty of all other tourists. Very creepy! But fun! Here is a photo of the cafe with only Fraulein in it:

Oh so much has happened. I really can't remember everything, but I have had long, lazy mornings in bed (Fraulein brings coffee in) about a zillion rehearsals for the symphony and then the performances, lots of beer, and lots of Dutch food of course. Last night we were in Amsterdam and ate at a girlie-girl restaurant called "Bei Ons" and we were fed really splendid Dutch dishes called...well, I have forgotten what they are called and Fraulein is in asleep so I can't ask her. And I am hearing the siren song of bed, too. Goodness, you'd think 10 hours in bed would've been enough rest to let me stay up late. Sigh.

Well, here is a photo of the menu from last night, though the meals we ate are not shown (I had mashed potatoes with sausage and sauerkraut and Fraulein had mashed potatos with vegetables and a WONDERFUL meatball. I tasted it and, honestly, I have never had a better meatball. Fraulein will remember its name.

So rayati for now, my darlings! I do apologize for this scrambled entry. I'll find you a better one tomorrow, dust it off and post it here. Smooch!
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Fraulein, I am swooning: You do have the most magnificent curls!
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something embarassing about me? There is nothing embarassing to say about me. Anyway, if you do I'll deny everything. It's not true!
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I have the SPECIAL knowledge now. Just ask me, darlings.) (Heh.)
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name of the meatball was 'gehaktbal' which means 'meatball'.

And...

(It's not true! That NEVER happened. I did NOT do that. I do NOT own anything as horrid as that.)
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm the one with the horrid things, aren't I? All those canes and the brand-new pretty tawse!

Oh, but the name of the dish Fraulein ate the other night was hutspot. I ate zuurkoolstamppot, actually. Now, please keep in mind that Fraulein is giving me the spellings and she has recently decided that she likes to laugh at me so duplicate them at your own peril.
CherieSpyker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adele Poppy wrote:
I ate zuurkoolstamppot, actually.

So that is what that dish really is! Sounds more delicious than melted lipstick over hairbrush. Reminded me of a hearty Midwest German-style dinner. Will have to make it for dinner some day.
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Another Photo Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to post this photo we took at a pet shop in Farenheit Street. We took it for honored Eldest Shrimp since she has goldfish:
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh, what cute Comets!! Thank you so very much!
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Spring Flowers from the Poppy Garden--Warning: Image-Heavy Reply with quote

Rayati again, darlings!

You all know I have a flower garden, don't you? Well, I do and it is bloom time for so many lovely things I thought it would be fun to share some of them with you.

This is lavendula in front of some pink daisies:

California poppy:

Ceanothus (California lilac):

Surprise tulips (they weren't supposed to bloom, but this is the fourth year they have):

Sparaxis (Harlequin flower):

More sparaxis:

Blue marguerite:

Bluebell bud:

Bluebell:
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How beautiful, Miss Poppy. It is a raw, rainy, and windy day here at Chez Juliesse, and your snapsies are truly the breath of spring long overdue in these parts.
Adele Poppy
Administratrix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: More Flower Photos Reply with quote

Buddha among the bluebells:

Blue and lavender cineraria:

Insanely bright gazania (Careful: May damage the retinas. Do NOT look at this photo if you have a hangover):
PheobeJoya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finds my shades!! Hee hee.

Woow the detail of the gazania is just spectacular,

Its stunning, thank you Miss Poppy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: