The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daffodil's Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, thank you, Miss Finesmith! Under $10 is certainly worthwhile for Real books! I must scurry off to Elektrabay to start hunting! Hooray!
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love your diary, Miss Finesmith. Indeed I feel ashamed that I haven't found much to write about myself, but living in the Yeek causes that dilemma, doesn't it? So many lovely things to write about, but so many things I'd rather not give the time of day.

I hope to see more soon from you! Thank you for being such a faithful diarist.
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can restore a real sofa from a photo or copy a dress pattern. To properly speak the language of regions like Vintesse and Trent one must rely on Real books (like Miss Keene's). For Kadoria and Quirinelle, naturally, there are numerous Kinnies to study but they are more difficult to find in Trent and nearly non-existent in Vintesse. This is why Miss Yu's proposal is just aces! Thank you, Miss Yu.

Here is an excerpt from the Nancy Drew mystery The Secret of Red Gate Farm

Miss Carolyn Keene wrote:

Nancy was forced to pull up to the gasoline pump. By the time she was ready to take the road, Karl Jr. was a considerable distance ahead of them.

"Step on it!" George advised. "We don't want him to get too far along."

"We may get into more trouble," Bess reflected gloomily.

The big sedan rapidly gathered speed, and under Nancy's skillful handling fairly shot down the road.

The two detectives watched the car disappear around a bend.

"Looks like she's mighty anxious to get away," one of them remarked. "Think her story was the straight goods?"

"Hard to tell," was the response. "You can tell she's a clever girl- but the clever ones need the most watching!"

The other nodded.

"It won't do any harm to see what we can do with the message she turned over to us, but at the same time it may pay us to keep an eye on her! You can't tell who the criminals are these days, although I can't say these girls looked anything like crooks."

"Right! his companion agreed. "Even if she is the daughter of a famous lawyer, she may be mixed up in the affair. We'll follow at a safe distance and see if she really goes to Red Gate Farm."

With that the two agents sprang into their high-powered car and took to the highway.

Chapt. XVI
The Strange Woman Again

Unaware that they were being followed, Nancy and her chums continued toward Red Gate Farm...

Here's the straight goods from Miss Daffodil- my chums here on this fora are super-duper swell.

Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps other maids have seen this wonderful Elektrasite- Found in Mom's Basement?

It has an amazing collection of pre and post eclipse magazine advertising! The handy 'categories' sidebar allows you to easily navigate to your favorite region.

I insisted on watching "His Girl Friday" with my youngest this weekend. She's used to me pulling out Kadorian kinnies (without color) and so didn't roll her eyes too much but it's not always easy. We snuggled up on the couch and from the opening scene showing the maids on the switchboard...

...to the ending we were hooked. It's a madcap comedy filled with fast talking brunette banter by Hildy (played by the delightful Rosalind Russell). Here she accuses Louis the pickpocket and his blonde accomplice:

Quote:
You double crossing hyena, I'd like to..
Whatsa matter?
Don't give me that innocent stuff, what'd you pull this time?
Who ME?!
Yes. You and that albino of yours.
You talking about Evangeline?
None other.
She ain't no Albino.
She'll do till one comes along.
She was born right here in this country!

The next day my daughter asked if there were more kinnies like that and could we please watch them. (I believe I'm doing something right...)

I haven't forgotten my promise for my dry rub steak recipe. This is an easy romantic dinner for two-

2 New York Strip steaks
1/2 tblspn finely ground espresso coffee
1 tblspn chile powder
1/2 tblspn smoked paprika (regular paprika if smoked is unavailable)
pinch of cayenne pepper
fresh ground black pepper
dash of salt

Ask your brunette to light the grill.

While she's doing that, mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and lay on a dish. Lightly shake the dry mixture over the steaks and gently rub it into the meat with your fingers. Flip the steaks covering all sides in this manner

When the grill is 500°f ask your brunette to sear the meat one minute each side to seal in its juices, then have her cook them until done (I like them rare, but this is your dinner so you get to choose)

Serve with red wine and a salad. If you're ravenous, these roast baby red potatoes are a great addition (but they'll need to be started first)-

8 oz baby red potatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tblspn Herbes de Provence
1 teaspoon Salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Quarter the potatoes and place in a large baggie. While shaking and rolling the potatoes inside the bag, pour in a generous amount of oil, just enough to fully coat them. Shake in the Herbes de Provence and salt, again rolling the potatoes inside the bag.

Lightly coat a flat cookie pan with oil and spread the potatoes across it. Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. Potatoes are done when the edges are crisp and dark brown.

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last evening I went looking in Virtualia for a pair of glasses. I was not really serious about finding any but it seemed like a good enough reason to go shopping. Instead, by pure chance, I found a traditional costume of my heritage! I was quite excited and immediately went to the Embie to try it on.

I clumped about the old place in my wooden shoes, admiring myself in the mirrors and standing out front while pretending to be my Oma's Oma. The shopping and excitement must have been tiring because my mind drifted and I dozed off. Moments (?) later there is Miss Yu standing by and gently whispering, "Rayati, Miss."

She was a lovely sight in her own traditional costume. She explained (let's hope I get this right) that hers should be a Maiko kimono. Though the seamstress may have gotten some details wrong and it is more like a Minarae. I think my own ensemble is from the Dutch town of Vollendam but I am not certain. (Perhaps the Juffrouw knows?)

This was a moment worth cherishing and so Miss Yu agreed to pose for a snap. Like two porcelain dolls, aren't we?

Later Miss Julianna joined us and we chatted further but physicalia beckoned and I had to dash off. This was one those fleeting moments in life that happen by pure chance and are the more lovely and wonderful for their lack of artifice.

Last edited by Daffodil Finesmith on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati Miss Finesmith,

That does look an awful lot like a Volendam costume. Well spotted! I am glad you had such a wonderful time in Virchers with Mengxia-chei and Miss Juliesse.
Sushuri Madonna
Administratrix

Location: In a strange and scary place on a long journey homeward.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Rosalind Russell is SO super-brunette!

I wonder if Russell is a brunette name. Miss Rosalind and Miss Jane are both brunettes par excellence! One of my favorite scenes in Tellurian Kinema is one where Miss Jane impersonates a blonde (specifically Miss Marilyn Monroe). It is the most remarkable piece or intemorphic cross-dressing - or seems like it.

Take out the masculi - who are quite incidental to this virtuoso performance - and you have something indistinguishable from a comedy scene straight from Quirinelle:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated and breathy "Oh Thank You, ever so..." for that sharing that performance, Sushuri-chei.

For Miss Yu, here is a portion of my collection of real Miss Drew books-

I love the silhouette illustration on the inside-

Elecktrabay is quite useful. But I think I truly prefer to roam through an old, dusty used book store. There is definitely something wonderful about the smell of the old bindings, the feel of the pages and so on. The pit just seems to disappear as if it never was.

Here are a couple of snapsies of a blonde Jet Setting Stewardess servicing the outer reaches of Infraquirinelle...

Waiting for the brunette pilots on the flight deck...

I wonder who she might be?

(BOO!)

Rayati, Miss Daffodil
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati,
Living in Culvaria, I thought to honor the end of the seemingly interminable Tellurian election process (and the fact that my daughter had no school the next day) by watching The Great McGinty (1941). It is a screwball political comedy filled with mascul voting shenanigans. There is but one Femin yet she represents all that is true, good and wonderful in the midst of the lies and deceit of politics.

She is played by Muriel Angelus-

I had not been aware of her before last evening and now I am smitten. The film is wonderfully funny and sweet.

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I love her pearls.
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't they, Juffrouw? I shall have to try threading pearls in Vitualia. If I am successful you may have the first set.

I was just now listening to Pavane For a Dead Princess.

It is a heartbreakingly sad composition. Not to be morbid, but for my funeral I should prefer this piece to be played. If the pettes in attendance aren't properly tearful this should ensure they are.

Rayati,
(the very much alive and well) Miss Daffodil
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building A Home For You

All the world seems in rhyme
Since I spend all my time
Building a home, building a home for you.

And in each little space
I see your smiling face –

I've planned a lot, I've worked a lot,
But that's no work to me,
For all the time I'm thinking just
How pleased you're going to be.

And I dream of the fun
When the good work is done –
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
^ A word of explanation on the above. I was working on our house in Virchers and listening to Radio Dismuke. While building away, that song come on. I was tickled! I love it when the world synchronizes in that way.

I have been most incredibly immersed in the project. As I have perhaps alluded to in the past, I am prone to a touch of mania. It's not serious or debilitating in any way but I do become horribly mono-focused. When it occurs, the world disappears and hours float by unnoticed. When emerging from this (almost) trance like state I feel a deep sense of calm that lingers for hours more. Unfortunately mundane things like cleaning, dinner, writing letters are all being neglected. The affliction runs in cycles, with ups and downs. The downs aren't as much fun but at least I'm never bored.

At the risk of being a bore by repeating myself too much, I am deeply in Miss Poppy's debt for allowing me the opportunity to put my mania to work for Aristasia.

We are fixing up the guest room in our home (my own, not the Virchers one) and was out shopping for a Queen size headboard. It turns out that the queen size was not established until the 1960s, so a Real Vintesse headboard was out of the question. But while looking for the headboard I spotted a real radio- a 1937 Crosley Fiver.

It works! As I mentioned to Sushuri-chei this morning, I only wish it wouldn't play Pit stations but Radio Dismuke instead. To be honest, I'm no expert on these things having never heard of the Crosley before seeing it in the shop, but isn't it cute? Oh! And while haggling over a price for the Crosley, I asked the Shop Mistress if she had any Queen size headboards (I had been through the store and not seen any). She snapped her fingers and said one just came in. It was still in her van. We took a look and it was a perfect Vintesse reproduction.

More synchronicity?

I had a dream last night. In it, the heating in my house was not working properly so Aristasian Brunettes came over (was one Miss Yatsenko?) to fix the duct work. Apparently my insulation was insufficient so they stuffed the duct work with long tresses of dark brunette hair- absolute piles of it! I touched some- it was soft and silky. It was comforting to know my home (myself?) was being kept warm by it. Minutes later I awoke.

Rayati for now,
Miss Daffodil
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Daffodil, this radioset is gorgeous!! Congratulations, it's a great find!
I remember seeing a fake radioset in the old Aristasia elektrasite. It played real quirrie music with a trick: music came from one of those little eyepods, that had a wire into this fake radioset. So the radioset was only a "player", but the "music source" was the eyepod.
I don't think that such a device can be made to your radioset, probably it's too delicate and the electrical wires and valves have a different technology. Maybe you can hide an eyepod somewhere in your room and pretend that music really comes from the radioset!!

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Sushuri Madonna
Administratrix

Location: In a strange and scary place on a long journey homeward.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the set in question:

It is not exactly fake because it is made by the same company (Bush) from the original molds. However it has Modern(ish) FM innards that will receive broadcasts from the little unit beside the 'poddie. These broadcast units are very cheap and allow broadcasting from a 'poddie, an ordie or anything else with a headphone socket.

Really rather useful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: