The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Library

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Avendale Storyboard
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is standing behind Beatrice?
Diana
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sensera-chei
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Shin-cheri
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mistress Baines
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A pette in a white coat. (This girl needs help.)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Juniper
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Harriet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lady Camille
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
A ghost!!! Run!!!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Two ghosts!
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: The Library Reply with quote

"What a beast," Juniper whispered to no one in particular. Detention had lasted for four hours and had not been pleasant. None of the girls had had much sleep last night. For some of them, especially for little Mengxia, staying awake had been a problem. It was Saturday morning and they all slouched back to their rooms. All except Beatrice who wanted to go to the library.

"You're nuts, Avery." Juniper declared. "It's Saturday, what do you need the library for?"

"For peace and quiet, Halifax. It is the one place in this building you wouldn't think of setting a foot in." Diana grinned.

"Pooh! Beatrice Avery thinks she is *so* much better than us. Just because her aunt is famous. Well, my mother happens to be famous too. Come along Harriet, Mengxia. Let's not get in the way of Lady Beatrice. She needs her peace and quiet." The blonde troupe scuttled ahead of the brunettes and quickly turned the corner to the blondes' hallway. Mengxia turned around and waved shyly before she too disappeared into blonde territory.

"Are you going to tell me about this aunt of yours, Beatrice?" Diana asked.

"It's all just a big misunderstanding. I'll tell you about later, Diana."

"All right. Are you heading to the library?"

Beatrice nodded. "Rayati. I'll see you later."

"Rayati, Bea."

Beatrice walked to the library. She was considering how to tell Diana about the mix up concerning that actress without revealing too much about Lady Camille. She had not wanted her to tell anyone about the letter at all. But perhaps she could tell Diana. Diana was a real pal, she could keep a secret. Beatrice's felt a headache coming up.

"Oh my, lack of sleep and a four hour detention really didn't do me any good."

As she opened the door to the library daylight suddenly disappeared. Beatrice's head spun. What's going on? She was pushed inside by what felt like bodies trying pass her, moving her out of their way as they tried to get in.

Suddenly the pushing stopped. Beatrice blinked several times, wondering if something was wrong with her eyes. The library was gone. Was she in the wrong room? Her head was still spinning. Through the windows she could see the moon shining. The moon? It's 10 am. What is this place? It was the library yesterday, I'm sure it was. The room was empty now.

From the centre of the room Beatrice heard girls giggling. She wanted to turn around and run, but her legs wouldn't move. This is not right…this is not right. Beatrice struggled not to panic. Giggling again. She looked to see where it was coming from. Somewhere from the middle of the room. Something was moving there. She looked closely. Two girls…dancing.

And it was gone. Beatrice blinked. No there they were again. Yes, definitely two girls dancing. Beatrice heard snatches of a waltz. It was as if the wind brought the music from far. But there was no wind. She looked around to see if Sensera-chei was near. No. No one.

"I'm not well." As she spoke she could see her breath. It was very cold. The girls were gone, so was the music. Beatrice walked towards the centre of the room. She had picked up her courage and wanted to convince herself that nothing was there.

But there the music was again. No longer fragmented, but very clearly there. And there were the girls dancing. They were not girls, they were ladies. Blonde and brunette. Beatrice could see their faces, the details of their beautiful dresses. The brunette kissed the blonde's cheek. They laughed. How pale they were. The music was louder. Beatrice could see no orchestra. The room was empty. There was candle light now. It was very warm. The smell of perfume and powder. Beatrice felt the heat and the scents slowly settle around her and cover her. She heard a whispering sound, as if many people were talking somewhere far away. Beatrice’s head ached. She closed her eyes and it stopped. All she could hear was her blood rushing through her body.

She breathed deeply and opened her eyes again. In a flash Beatrice found herself in the middle of a crowd. People everywhere talking loudly, laughing, music. A wild waltz. The two ladies were dancing close enough to her to touch. They looked happy. Their faces were flushed, no longer pale. People were looking at them, admiring them.

Then everything went silent. The orchestra continued playing but there was no sound. The blonde lady sagged to the floor. Beatrice could see the brunette crying out, panic in her face. But all was silence. Then it went dark again. Everything disappeared, the people, the scents, the candle light. It was cold again. Beatrice could feel her heart pounding, as if she had run up several flights of stairs. She looked at the moon outside. Her breath appeared in frosty puffs each time she exhaled. She took a few steps back. The sound of her footsteps echoed off the walls of the empty room.

"Beatrice?"
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Miss Adele, for guiding me through some vocabulary issues.
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Beatrice."

Beatrice turned around so fast she almost fell over. "Lady Camille!"

Suddenly it was light again. The echo was gone. The library was the library again. Beatrice looked around. Shelf upon shelf of dusty books. In the corner the improvised classroom. A thick, heavy pain pounded in her head. She felt her heart in her throat.

Lady Camille leaned into the doorway, arms crossed. She was still dressed in her silk peignoir; her curls were messy. She looked as if she had just come out of bed, except for her immaculate make-up.

"What is it, girl? Why do you look at me that way? Did I scare you? Doll face, I didn't mean to scare you." She grinned.

Beatrice's heart was still racing. She opened her mouth to speak, but couldn't. Lady Camille's amused look turned into a concerned one. "Darling, what it is?"

"I'm cold."

"Cold? Well, I suppose it's a bit chilly. Why didn't you wear a sweater?"

"Music…it was dark…I…I saw…I saw…" Beatrice pointed into the library.

"What did you see?"

"I think I was…I thought I saw something." Beatrice rubbed her forehead. "I just need some sleep."

Lady Camille stepped forward and grabbed Beatrice's arms. "Tell me girl, what did you see?"
"I'm not… I don't…ladies…dancing. I could smell their perfume."

Lady Camille looked around as if she was searching for something. "Come with me." She dragged the young brunette by the arm through the hallway into her room.

"Sit." She pushed Beatrice into the big armchair and kneeled down in front of her. She looked the girl straight into the face. "Beatrice, it is very important that you tell me. What did you see?"

Beatrice felt dizzy.

"It was supposed to be the library."

"I know, doll face. But it wasn't, was it?"

"No. … My head hurts. I'm not well."

"Yes, you are. Yes, you are. You are perfectly fine. What did you see, Beatrice." Lady Camille grabbed the girls arms again and squeezed tightly.

"They were dancing…but they weren't really there. I really think I'm not well."

"Bother.." Lady Camille stood up and started pacing the room, muttering to herself. Suddenly she stopped.

"Lena!...Lena!"

The maid entered the room and curtsied. "Yes, milady?"

"I need a drink. I don't care how you get it, but I need one." She looked at Beatrice. "And so does she."

"But…milady…"

"Quick!"

Lena curtsied and left.

Beatrice was shaking in her chair. This had not really happened. She had probably just fallen asleep. It had been a short night and a long, long morning. If only her head didn't hurt so much. She couldn't think. It must have been a dream.

"Please, Lady Camille. I think I was only dreaming."

"Dea. I hope you were."

Lady Camille walked over to the Estrenne cabinet and took her cigarette case and a box of matches. She walked over to her chaise longue and slowly sat down. She lit a cigarette and inhaled deeply. "Come and sit with me, poppet. Tell me about your dream."

Beatrice got out of the chair and sat down next to Lady Camille. She looked up at her face and frowned. "You look like her. Like the lady in my dream."

"Bother…oh bother…" Lady Camille closed her eyes. "Just…start from the beginning."
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatrice had told all. The pounding in her head had settled into continuous nauseating waves now. She looked up at Lady Camille. She really looked like one of the ladies she had seen, no, had *dreamed* about. So beautiful.

Lady Camille was nervous. She was tapping her long fingers on the arm of the chaise. This was her fourth cigarette. The smoke made Beatrice's nausea worse. As Lena entered the room Lady Camille jumped up. The maid was holding a bottle and two small glasses.

"Brandy! You dear girl. Where did you get it?"

Lena shook her head. "Please, milady, don't ask."

Lady Camille squeezed her maid's shoulder. "Thank you."

She quickly poured two glasses and handed one to Beatrice. "Drink. You've had a bad dream, you need it."

Beatrice took the glass. "Do you really think it was a dream?"

"Oh yes, what else could it be? You're a sensible girl. Now, drink up."

Beatrice sipped the brandy. She was not allowed alcohol, but right now she didn't think not drinking it was an option. Lady Camille took her hand and kissed it.

"Don't worry, doll face. It was just a very strange dream. You'll be fine tomorrow. One last sip…good girl. Lena will take you to your room. I think you need some sleep. You don't look very well."

"Thank you."

Lena took Beatrice's arm and half lifted her from the chaise. "Let's go, Miss."

"Rayati, Miss Beatrice."

"Rayati, Lady Camille."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Avendale Storyboard All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: