The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Design Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Design Questions Reply with quote

Ladies, I have thought of a possible concept for the site design. We shall have to work on the execution of that concept, but I should like your comments and opinions about the basic idea.

<a>Photobucket</a>

I want to make it clear that we are not merely writing about clothes, but that we cover numerous aspects of fashions and trends during our chosen period of time.

The set of images along the bottom can be changed easily and we could even turn the whole line of images into a film strip format if you would like to do so.

This design will give us a very sepia-ish site, which we can use as a reasonably blank, but also slightly warm canvas for all our other words and images to be placed on.

If you like this basic design, I shall prepare it properly. If you do not, please make your own header images and post them here. The width should be 725 pixels and the height anything within reason!

So if you are a designer, now is your chance to shine - please help me because I really am NOT much of a graphic artist.

Thank you.
Sushuri Madonna
Administratrix

Location: In a strange and scary place on a long journey homeward.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!

I would plump for a pale pink background. Sepia and pink are beautifylly romantic in my view.

But then I am blonde.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: maybe too blond... Reply with quote

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma'am, my mother is a graphics designer. While I cannot volunteer her help (she is quite busy and I know she does not have the time) I canvolunteer to borrow her book "The Colour Scheme Bible." (Or something like that.)

It is intended for decorating rooms, but I believe it works for anything that needs a colour scheme. It is divided up by colour and gives ideas for what main colours and what accent colours look nice together. It will be no problem to scan in pages.
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh thank you, I'd love to see it, Dear Yu-chei!
And I'm so sorry for the typing mistake in my graphic...I'm a blond!

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not even notice it until you pointed it out, Miss Viola!

Are there any particular colours I should scan in first? Some neutrals, I think, to see what looks nice with sepia, and pink for Madonna-chei. Also some purples?

Edit: I have started scanning. Hopefully I will be adding images throughout the day. As this is copyrighted material, I will delete them once we have decided on a lekkiesite colour scheme.

Neutrals:

Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ladies, for your contributions so far.

Miss Viola, Thank you for your contribution, dear. I must confess that I am not awfully taken with vertical stripes, I'm afraid, but if everybody else is, I am willing to be over-ruled.

We do somehow need to convey the message that "fashions" is not merely referring to clothing styles on this site as well. The header graphic is what sets the tone for the rest of the site so let's try to make that clear from the very first peep our visitors take.

What I do like very much is the font you have used, Miss Viola. Which font is it, dear?

[Note to everyone: When you create a design, please tell us which font you have used!]

Miss Yu, that book could prove very useful indeed. Thank you (and your mother) for the pages from it. Out of those selections, I favour Rose-tinted Romantic. But it may not be quite neutral enough for the wide range of images we shall eventually be incorporating.

Can you have a little look through and find me a very light sepia-toned background with at least one sepia-ish accent colour? You may want to look for greenish golds. Too much green is cold though, so don't go too far!

I'd like to hear from Miss Poppy on this subject too. She has a marvellous eye for colour. Miss Poppy? Are you with us darling?

And everyone else should express an opinion too. I can hardly wait for all your creative ideas.
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Miss Wardelle, the font I've used is "Avignon". You can load it down here for Windows or here for Macintosh. This file contains also some hints and useful symbols!

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Candace Bethune

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding images, I have a modest collection of artwork and photographs collected from Elecktraspace that might be of interest. They tend toward charming images of ladies in couples or groups, without any mascul presence. Strangely, it seems like most images of this sort come from the Arcadian era. I am trying to find ones from our period of focus, but they are a bit harder to come by. This may be due to copyright concerns, although I'm not sure.

I will try to get a gallery of the images I've collected up and accessible soon.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry it took so long to get these images! I had to fight and fight and fight with my scanner.

Miss Wardelle, I think this page might most closely match your description. Many of the neutrals are rather dark in the other pages:

And here is a nice pink:

These next pages are from another book intended for printed documents. It divides colour schemes up by a theme.

"Classic"

"Delicate"

"Mellow"

Last edited by Mengxia Yu on Fri May 23, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Candace Bethune

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Yu, what wonderful colors! Do you know, a young lady of my acquaintance will be married in a week, and I am making her headpiece and veil. It happens that her wedding colors are yellow and sage, and the swatches you've presented have given me much inspiration for the project.

On a tangentially related topic, it is turning out to be much easier than I anticipated to find periodicals from the 1920s and 1930s. I just purchased a Better Homes and Gardens from 1932 at a little second-hand book shop. There are quite a few shops of that kind in my area, and I suppose I will be spending half of my paycheck at them over the coming long weekend we are blessed with in Culveria.

My new maggie is full of sweet and lovely images that would be very nice to use alongside articles for our pages, but I wonder if any pette knows what sort of legal issues we might run into. Is there a statue on how long magazine images are under copyright? Do you suppose the ownership of the currently published Better Homes and Garden still holds rights to images from 80 years ago?
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am so glad they are helpful, Miss Bethune!

I believe--though I am not completely certain--that the copyrights on images in books expire after fifty years and may be used for non-profit purposes, at least in Culveria.

A Philosophy society I belonged to at my university did a showing of a kinnie. For our advertising posters, we could not use the cover of the kinnie because it was protected by copyright, but we could use the cover of the book because it was written long enough ago.
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In relation to copyright, ladies, the most succint statement on the law is:

"For works created and first published between 1950 and 1978 the copyright lasts for 95 years. For works created and first published before 1950, the copyright lasts for 28 years but could have been renewed for another 67 years."

So it appears that, for our purposes, it will mainly be Quirrie images we have to be careful with.

Most magazine images are unlikely to have been renewed.

If we are in doubt we may take two courses. First we may publish with an acknowledgment of the source. In this case, many of those who might contest the use of images will decide not to pursue us since we have given them a fair acknowledgement.

If someone does take exception to our use of a particular image they will issue us with a "cease and desist" notice. That may be an informal elektra message or an official letter from a lawyer or attorney. In either case, we should then remove that image from use and write a polite letter of apology.

With images of the age of ours, though, I sincerely doubt there will ever be a problem.

The second course of action we might take in cases where we know the source of an image is this; we might contact the owner of the image and ask for permission to use it. Very frequently, that permission is given freely if an acknowledgment or link is given by way of "payment in kind".

I hope that makes things clearer.
Sushuri Madonna
Administratrix

Location: In a strange and scary place on a long journey homeward.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Wardelle has made a design based on the "Rose-tinted Romantic" colour scheme kindly supplied by honoured Yu-chei. We ran into some problems with the rather lovely Avignon font suggested by honoured Miss Viola, so I have made a substitute. here is the design as it currently stands:

Click the thumbnail to see it at full size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Violet Viola
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh, it's so beautiful, honoured Miss Madonna! Well done! Is it me....or is the mauve colour really "fading" towards the bottom? This is a great idea!
I would suggest a lighter beige (so that the text can be read better) for the central area and a plain burgundy border for the "buttons", because, in my very humble opinion, this "raised effect" looks too "heavy" and not really "matching", if it makes any sense!

Roses are red,
violets are blue....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: