The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 1950s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: The 1950s Reply with quote

For all things relating to the 1950s fashions section of the site, please post here.

Thank you
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very brief look around Elektraspace to see what our competition was doing.

I think, from a sheer informational point of view, our main competition in the 1950s fashion arena is from this site:

http://www.fashion-era.com/1950s_glamour.htm

So why don't you pop over there and see whether they have any pages you could do better?

By better I mean:

- more extensively
- with more detail
- with better pictures or illustrations
- wth a different tone more reflective of the period
- from a more personal point of view
- illustrated with stories of your own experience or your family's experience

Or any other improvements you might be able to suggest.

This is a very large site with a lot of information. We have to make the 1950s section better and more popular than this. It is not going to be easy.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken a look around the whole of Fashion-Era.com--It looks familiar; I want to say I have been there before. One thing that jumps out to me as something we can do better: footnotes.

As someone who has researched, I look at that Elektrasite and want to know where they are getting their information from. How should the maid who is unfamiliar with these fashions it is accurate? Perhaps the makers of the Elektrasite are looking at photographs and making things up as they go along? (Of course, we know that it is accurate, but this is the thought process.)

I think we could become more trustworthy if we can cite where at least some of our information comes from. If it can be confirmed by a book, what book? If original research, what and when? Some of us may have the advantage of possessing up-to-date magazines or other original fashion sources. If we find a book with particularly excellent illustrations, it might be possible to contact the authoress to ask for permission to use one or two. This process of researching might also bring an aspect we had not considered to our attention.

Just to see what resources are out there, I popped onto Amazon.com and did a book search for "fashion history." I found:

Hats: A History of Fashion in Headwear.

The History of Underclothes (While underclothes are not generally something one talks about in polite conversation, a maid must learn about them somehow, and she cannot do it by watching kinnies!)

Dressed for the Occasion: What Americans Wore 1620-1970

The Corset: A Cultural History

I do not know if these particular books would be worth reading, but they illustrate what I am trying to describe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: