The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sororities And So Forth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Sai ThamŽ College
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshinBrigid

Location: Ladybright Manor, near Jenilow, Arcadia (In Telluria I live in Clovis, Culveria)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Sororities And So Forth Reply with quote

In Telluria, I have been in two groups that are similar to what has been discussed for the Lay College. The first was Phi Theta Kappa, the Honour Society for students of two-or-three-year colleges (also called community colleges, at least in Culveria). The society was established in 1910 at Stephens College, a Missouri two-year women's college, although now masculs are allowed in as well (hence it is an Honour Socity, and not a Sorority). To be involved in that group you had to have very high grades and be willing to keep them up each semester, or risk not being able to participate in the group.

I started out as just a member my first semester in it, and then was made Secretary the second semester. The next year I was voted in as Vice-President of Membership, which was the actual Vice-President beneath the President, in terms of the hierarchy. Eventually our President, a very foolish young mascul who should never have been voted to such an important place, stopped participating, and I took over as Acting-President for the next semester before I transfered to the University in California I went to after that.

The level of hierarchy of that Honour Society (at least at my college) were as follows:
President
Vice-President of Membership
Vice President of Service
Vice President of Fellowship
Treasurer
Secretary.

All meetings followed this agenda:
Order of business
Call to order
Roll call
Reading of the minutes
Treasurer’s report
Committee/Vice-President reports
Old business
New business
Announcements
Adjournment.

We wore pins during all offical meetings or while doing any Society work, so long as we were dressed in clothing that would not dishonour the Society. The pin (seen here: http://www.ojc.edu/content/activities/Images/PTKpin.jpg) is in the shape of a key. From the Wikipedia page about the Society:
The Key is a golden slab, keyed at the top and bottom. Across the center of the slab is a black enamel band upon which three Greek letters appear, which are the initials of three mystic Greek words meaning phronimon (Phi), thumos (Theta), katharotes (Kappa) and meaning "wisdom," "aspiration," and "purity." Behind the band is a wreath, on one side composed of oak leaves, and on the other, of laurel. The wreath of oak leaves denotes stability and strength of character, and the curling leaves of laurel signify achievement and success. Above the band is a representation of the head of Athena, Goddess of Learning; in the base appear the mystic Greek letters meaning light, the light of learning and knowledge.

The seal (http://www.athens.edu/students/Phi%20Theta%20Kappa%20emblem.png) is similar.

Because it was a more informal Society, there were not as many secret traditions. We mostly focused on being a study and discussion group, helped tutor students (both members of the Society or not) in any topic we could, and did things like bake sales to raise funding and did service things like getting together and helping an elderly former professor of our college paint and redecorate her home and garden after she got out of the hospital after a long stay there due to cancer.

~~~~~

The second group I have been involved with is Sigma Alpha Iota. SAI was founded in 1903 at the University School of Music in Ann Arbor, Michigan by seven female students there. SAI is a Music Sorority (it is called a fraternity now, but only women are allowed... being called a fraternity is only a technicality in this case) for pettes who are involved in music at their universities.

Here is some information about how it worked, as a Sorority, that is public knowlege and I can share (or I have changed the details slightly if it is not public knowledge):

The SAI Purpose:
TO FORM chapters of women college students and alumnae who have a sincere interest in music.
TO UPHOLD the highest standards of music.
TO FURTHER the development of music in America and throughout the world.
TO GIVE inspiration and encouragement to members.
TO ORGANIZE the cultural life of Sigma Alpha Iota members as a contributing factor to their educational growth.
TO SUPPORT the ideals and goals of the member's Alma Mater.
TO ADHERE to the highest standards of citizenship in school, community and sorority life.

The SAI Mission:
"The Mission of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity is to encourage, nurture and support the art of music."

The SAI Responsibilities:
To represent the sorority positively at all times
To cultivate broad friendships and be democratic in all campus contacts
To be ethical at all times
To respect the authority of chapter, province and national officers
To refrain from the discussion of internal sorority affairs with non-members
To practice the high ideals of Sigma Alpha Iota at all times

The coat of arms, crest or seal (http://www.ithaca.edu/orgs/sai/index_files/colorcrest.gif) is a shield of gold, with the middle third of crimson. In the center is a sword lying in an open book; at the top right a white rose, and at the left a red rose. Above the bar of alternate gold and crimson is a green wreath encircling gold pipes of pan. Below the shield is a scroll containing the open motto of the sorority, "Vita Brevis, Ars Longa" (Life is short, but Art is long).

A pette wishing to join SAI first 'rushes' it, or makes it known to the members of the sorority and visits with them at a series of 'rush acitivities' or get-togethers where the rushing pette can see if she likes the sorority members and learn more about the sorority. Then, the sorority gives the rushing pette an invitation and rush is over, and if the pette accepts, the pette becomes a pledge.

The pledge first wears a ribbon instead of a pin, and then after the first offical ceremony, becomes a member-in-training (although still also called a pledge) and wears a temporary pin. The full member pin looks like this: http://www.susqu.edu/sigma_alpha_iota/images/member%20badge.gif . A temporary pin does not have the real pearls in it and looks much simpler as it just consists of the pan-pipes part.

The pledge must meet the scholastic and performance requirements set forth by the chapter, must attend all members-in-training meetings unless excused (three unexcused absences athorize the chapter to delay initiation), must meet all local chapter and national requirements for initiation and satisfactorily pass the national membership examination.

Once initiated, the pledge becomes a full-member, a sister. An active Sister must attend 100% of all chapter meetings unless excused by vote of the chapter after presenting to the Secretary, in advance of the meeting, a written excuse. (Only valid excuses are illness, necessary absence from the city or professional musical engagement... things such as having a class then do not count, as you are then inactive for that semester). They must also attend all other chapter functions- musicales, Ritual ceremonies, social affairs- unless excused.

Officers of the Sorority are as follows:
President
Vice-President of Membership
Vice-President of Ritual
Sergeant-at-arms
Tresurer and Secretary

I was the Secretary my second year, and in my third year hoped to be Vice-President of Ritual, but had to drop out due to money issues and so forth. Telluria can be a hard place.

There are lots of rules about how meetings are held, how and when to wear the membership pin, things such as the SAI Chorale that are sung and a handclasp and password one must give and say in order to enter all official functions of the sorority, but I should not discuss them openly in this thread. If Honoured Fraulein Landgrebe or anypette else should have further questions about those things, or anything else, I am a lekkiepost away!

Rayati Raihiranya![/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Miss Brigid! I have no questions at this moment, but they may arise once sororities are being formed.
AshinBrigid

Location: Ladybright Manor, near Jenilow, Arcadia (In Telluria I live in Clovis, Culveria)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like I can post some about the sister and family-line part of the sorority I was in, I was not sure if we wished information about that, but I am glad to be of use!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sister and family line information would be very interesting, but it is at your discretion, Miss Brigid. Thank you for posting! This is very informative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Sai ThamŽ College All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: