The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monetisation time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Monetisation time! Reply with quote

Our hosting company has reminded me (by adding various gadgets and gizmos to our control panel) that we now have enough pages to begin to try to earn some hard cash.

This is what the site is all about - remember that?

Sooooooo...........it is time for you all to start thinking of dollars, pounds, shekels or pesos (depending on where you live and what you think in).

1. I have added some Amazon.com referrals to one of our pages as an example of the sorts of things we can be looking out for.

See: http://www.1920s-to-1950s-fashion.com/british-tea.html to see one possibility.

We may or may not stick with Amazon in the long run but if you have specific products you would like to feature, please begin adding the details to your pages and writing them into your text.

And please go back through your old pages and see if there is any way they can be edited to include links to relevant products too.

2. One of the best models for monetisation is e-books. We can sell ebooks written by others. But the real money comes from writing our own - so if any of you feel inspired to take on such a big project, do let me know and we can start to plan for that as well.

3. I have a small delay in verifying my address with Google before I can add Google advertising to the site but that will start to appear as soon as I receive the relevant letter from Google some time in the next three weeks.

4. Finally, if you recommend a product or service from another website, please first check to see if that site has an affiliate program. Sometimes affiliate programs are advertised very clearly on a site. Other times they are tucked away in the fine print. if you are in any doubt, please just pop a short, polite note to the owners of the site and simply ask whether or not they run an affiliate program. If they do, we should sign up for it and earn a comission on any of their products sold through our site.

Plenty of food for thought there I think.

But if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

5. (An afterthought) Oh, and the ladies who are interested in knitting might also consider creating a pdf download or two of your favourite up to date knitting or crochet patterns. There are copyright issues to consider but the best way around them is to take a pattern, knit it up and give directions and instructions on any difficult or tricky parts. Then take a photograph of the item you have knitted and use that in the pdf.

So if you do this sort of thing regularly - or if you know anyone who does and would allow you to take pictures and pinch their patterns and experience, please go ahead and do it now.

Thank you all.

Here's to an income that will cover our Virtualian expansion in the first instance. And, I hope, eventually allow us to help our own girls in Telluria too (like new ordies for Miss Ashin, supplies of tea for Miss Yu or beer for Miss Poppy, Miss Yatsenko and the Commander!)

Rayati Raihiranya.
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati honoured Miss Wardelle,

I have sifted through a number of articles on copyright in Canada, because all of my up-to-date knitting, crochet and tatting works were produced by Canadian publishers and companies before 1958.

The oft-quoted rule on Canadian copyright is the "10% rule" - any work is reprintable and distributable as long as it comprises 10% or less of the original work - or contains at least 10% original editing and material (this is the yardstick that most plagiarism committees use when dealing with original works that run afoul of dishonesty accusations.) With some of these books I will be cutting it close to the bone, and with some of the more slender volumes it will be nearly impossible.

The best way, I think, would be if I were to do what some ladies do - almost always unabashedly to avoid copyright problems - which is to make small differentiations to the pattern, test-knit it and publish the original photograph of the work on the lekkiesite alongside the new version for comparison. The adjustment can be anything - even editing in a substitute yarn and seaming method, just as long as the end product is notably different from the original.

I would be happy to look through my resources this weekend, ma'am. There are, especially, a few photos in there of blondes and brunettes that would be a lovely addition to the lekkiesite.
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, Miss Yatsenko.

Thank you.

The 10% rule seems relatively easy to work around if the pattern is published in a magazine though, isn't it? Or am I misunderstanding?

The other thing I wonder about is whether we could perhaps do a little bit of re-sizing. That is, I find that many up to date patterns were written for smaller ladies than the current average - and they often tend to knit up into even smaller sizes than one expected.

How difficult is it to extend the size range one or two sizes at the larger end?

Forgive my ignorance, darlings, I never got past dolls' scarves in my knitting classes. No patience my teachers said. I am rather afraid they were right.

I am in the hands of the experts.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, excellent, ma'am! The book Tea by Roy Moxham, which is advertised on the British Tea page, is a book I am currently reading and using as a resource for our tea pages.

I am going to investigate affiliate programs with tea sellers I trust. I do not think Tea Treasures/Texas Tea Embassy has one, but since I visit that shop in person I may be able to persuade the owners to work out something.
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done YU-chei, darling.

You might run into "We'd like to but we don't know how to run an affiliate program". If that is the case send them to have a look at commission Junction. That is a site that administers merchants' affiliate programs. It is the equivalent of having their tea advertised on potentially thousands of sites and I beieve all they pay for is sales - but I have not investigated the selling side of CJ very well so do not quote me on it.

Failing that, you might be able to negotiate some samples in exchange for mentioning them on our site or something similar.

The final option is to offer to feature products that they sell as if they were being sold by us. This is the most labour-intensive way of doing things but it often has the best returns. We could take orders and pass them on for a small commission (usually between 8% and 15% of the sale price). They pay nothing unless we sell things directly through our site.

Some food for thought anyway. But if you can find tea sites with affiliate programs it would be much easier to administer.

Rayati.
Quixotica Moxie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good news! And my pages should be a veritable treasure trove of Amazon referrals. I'll start looking into this, later tonight.
Padraica Yatsenko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Wardelle wrote:

The 10% rule seems relatively easy to work around if the pattern is published in a magazine though, isn't it? Or am I misunderstanding?

Rayati ma'am,

If it is a magazine it shouldn't be too big a problem, as the original content, word for word, generally outweighs even the most deluxe patterned-and-charted fair-isle jumper in twenty possible sizes (speaking as a knitter, this would be massive, but for a 120-page magazine? It wouldn't exceed 12 pages, certainly.)

However, if it's one of the small Beehive or Patons catalogues I have, it is difficult with some of them to run the pattern and photo. However, if any of them exceed 26-30 pages, it's quite possible to redistribute both pattern and photo.

Miss Wardelle wrote:

How difficult is it to extend the size range one or two sizes at the larger end?

It's not difficult at all, ma'am! Most of the size increases are a matter of simple arithmetic. If we were to make other adjustments - say, to add trim, or to add sewing elements such as interfacing for skirts or hats to keep their shape - that's even better, because we will be able to add the size increase measurements, as well.

Thank you for the suggestion! I would never have thought about size increases... I generally do it automatically in my head for myself when reading them, but of course it would be an excellent thing for the site.
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a good Dutch site that sells up to date undergarments and stockings. They state that they will ship abroad but their entire site is in Dutch. If they translate it and avertise through our site I believe they could boost their sales significantly. I'll look into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: