The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gardening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Gardening Reply with quote

For all things relating to the Gardening section of the site, please post here.

Thank you
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Bethune got the ball rolling in this area with this post:

Quote:
Rayati, Miss Wardelle, and honored misses. This sounds like a very exciting project! I'd be thrilled to participate, but I am unsure if any of my areas of knowledge are applicable. I do have a little dressmaking skill, and have made a few Arcadian style gowns. I'm really not a scholar of fashion of any period, though. Much of my expertise is in the realm of gardening, which I imagine couldn't possibly be relevant.

I suggest you ask Miss Poppy to collaborate, Miss Bethune. She is a veritable gold mine of gardening information.

My response to this was,

Quote:

Miss Bethune - how lovely to hear from you again! And how nice that you have knowledge in such useful and helpful areas. Dressmaking skill will come in terribly useful, although I fear Arcadian gowns are just a tiny bit out of our remit here. Having said that, I am certain that older ladies were still wearing them well into the middle of the century so I do not discount even those at this stage.

Gardening is certainly a useful thing to include - particularly if you can adapt and adjust it to 1920s to 1950s gardening tools, styles and varieties.

You really would be surprised at what might be relevant! Thank you for your post.
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Bethune added:

Quote:
Miss Yatsenko, I am delighted by your idea of appealing to La Dame Rustique! I am well acquainted with the lady, as a gardener. I will make a study of the gardening techniques and tools of the period in question, and maybe that will be my humble contribution.
Candace Bethune

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, ladies. I have managed to acquire a few magazines on the subject of organic gardening from Elektrabay, which date to the 1930s. I hope to find some inspirational text and images there.

I have also been thinking about heirloom rose gardens full of glorious scents and bentwood trellises. You know, those country gardens that seem at once wild and perfectly ordered, and which remind one of why Paradise is almost always envisioned as a garden. I really don't know what decade that style was at its peak, but I would love to do a page or two about creating such a haven. Miss Wardelle, if you could kindly give it some thought, and perhaps give me a more specific assignment? I confess, I'm really "brainstorming" at this point, and I'm not even sure all of my ideas are viable!
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Miss Bethune! What a marvellous find!

I shall certainly give the matter some thought - but most importantly, I shall do some research. I shall post a few suggestions here as soon as I have discovered what is best to aim for.

Thank you.
Quixotica Moxie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candace Bethune wrote:

I have also been thinking about heirloom rose gardens full of glorious scents and bentwood trellises. You know, those country gardens that seem at once wild and perfectly ordered, and which remind one of why Paradise is almost always envisioned as a garden. I really don't know what decade that style was at its peak, but I would love to do a page or two about creating such a haven.

Honorable Miss Bethune, I do believe that the lush and sweeping garden you're describing was quite at it's peak in the 30s and to a certain extent through the 40s, and that it's popularity was connected with the Arts and Crafts and Bungalow cottage styles of architecture and home decor (which themselves connect with Art Nouveau and Art Deco). But then, this is just my general impression from the smattering of Culverian materials I've read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: