The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Household Management (a la Mrs Beeton)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Household Management (a la Mrs Beeton) Reply with quote

If Mrs Beeton touched upon the subject in her famous Arcadian Household Management book, Miss Poppy will discuss it and expand upon it here!

Everything from "How to make your stockings last longer" to "How should one discipline the servants?" will go in this section.

This is an enormous section so please do offer all the help you can.
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if any of you pettes are ion possession of this book or one like it for any of our decades?

http://www.amazon.com/Wartime-Kitchen-Garden-Jennifer-Davies/dp/0563364378/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213312567&sr=8-1

If so, might I suggest that it probably contains hundreds of hints, tips and ideas for pages we might like to write for the site.

If anyone has this book, I am chomping at the bit to know what is inside.

Can anybody put me out of my misery?

Rayati,

Miss Wardelle
Miss Wardelle
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: A Note for Miss Finesmith Reply with quote

Miss Finesmith, darling,

I need to know what your plans are for your continued contributions to the site.

Your Waldorf Astoria Menu is now mostly up on the site, although it is lacking pictures. Do you think you might be able to rootle some up from somewhere?

But if you plan to offer further meals and menus, I shall have to organize things n one way. If it was a one-off historical menu, I shall organize a different way.

What do you think?

Let me know and I shall plan accordingly.

Rayati.
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A Note for Miss Finesmith Reply with quote

Miss Wardelle wrote:
Miss Finesmith, darling,

I need to know what your plans are for your continued contributions to the site.

Your Waldorf Astoria Menu is now mostly up on the site, although it is lacking pictures. Do you think you might be able to rootle some up from somewhere?

But if you plan to offer further meals and menus, I shall have to organize things n one way. If it was a one-off historical menu, I shall organize a different way.

What do you think?

Let me know and I shall plan accordingly.

Rayati.

Oh Miss Wardelle! I only just saw the page late last evening. You have turned my admittedly bare submission into a marvelous piece. Your writing 'voice' is such a delight. Honestly, I am humbled by the amount of work you are doing.

Yes, I should love to continue the historical menu idea, if you wish me to. I shall endeavor to find some snaps for the page that is up. I will begin researching menus for a 1930s meal next. Then a 1940s one, a 1950s etc. What fun this is!

Oh and I ordered a used copy of the '21 Cookbook.' It should be filled with treasure.

Rayati,
Miss Finesmith

PS- I promise to follow your submission guidelines next time as best I can manage, as well as include more historical background for you to work your magic on.
Miss Elise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure if you're looking for house keeping tips precisely, however, I do have a few useful little tips:

- When doing the laundry, instead of pouring the detergent into the washing machine from the little cup, simply put the cup in. It comes out not sticky anymore.

-instead of a jar opener for those tricky lids, try one of the rubber gloves you use for washing dishes, you get a better grip.

- When a garment has an organic stain (blood, sweat, etc) rinse it in cold salt water before the stain sets

-Dishsoap works wonders on lipstick and deodorant stains

-To disinfect your dish sponge (something you should do often) microwave it for 30 seconds

-When storing vinyl records always keep them vertical (like books on a shelf) rather than horizontal (laying atop one another) to prevent warping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> Finances and Incomes Discussion Group All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: