The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index The Aristasia Forums Archive
See current activity at www.aristasia-central.com/heartbook

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jullianna's Recipe for the Week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Jullianna's Recipe for the Week Reply with quote

Gnocchi with Spinanch and Gorgonzola

2 10-oz. boxes of frozen chopped spinach
Salt
2 14-16 oz. packages of fresh gnocchi
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (4 times around the pan)
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Black pepper
1 cup chicken stock
8 oz. gorgozola cheese, crumbled

Defrost spinach and wring water out of it with a clean kitchen towel. Set aside.

Bring large pot of water to a boil for the gnocchi and season liberally with salt.

Place walnuts in a dry small skillet and toss over medium-low heat util toasted and fragrant. Be careful not to burn!

In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add garlic to the warm oil, then add the spinach, separating the clumps as you add it to the garlic oil. Season with salt and pepper, add the stock, and bring to a bubble over medium heat. Add the gorgonzola, and stir until it melts.

Cook the gnocchi, drain, and add to the spinach cheese mixture to coat.
Adjust seasonings as needed.

Serve topped with toasted walnuts.

This one is LETHAL!!! You will be full and happy and have lots of yummy leftovers. Plan to go for a nice run or walk the next day!

Rayati,
JJ
Daffodil Finesmith
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayati dear sister,

Yesterday evening I served your recipe to my family. It was swell, thank you so much for the recipe. As you suggested, I also served some grilled sweet Italian sausages. But you said there'd be leftovers? (My daughter had two friends over).

I took the liberty of adding a small amount of sautéed onion and baby portobello mushrooms. I agree with Madame Benoit who said, "A recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation."

Today, for good luck on the New Year, I am making cajun style Black Eyed Peas.

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil

PS- Oh and dear... it turns out that we were not incorrect in our pronunciation of gnocchi after all. Perhaps the maid at the deli counter who corrected me is used to a different regional pronunciation? Irked (and a little embarrassed) that I had been saying it wrong all these years I looked it up. The big cheese says it is "Nyo-Kee" not "No-Chee" after all.

I just learned I'd been saying Bruchetta wrong however. It's brusˈket.ta.
Mengxia Yu
Contributy supermaiden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a maiden of mainly Italian descent, I can assure you that it is indeed nyo-kee and broos-keh-tah.
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Lasagna Casserole Reply with quote

Wonderful comfort food served last night at Chez Juliesse (even the young one ate it without much complaint):

Salt
1 Pound campagnelle (curly pasta; Barilla brand is best)
3 tablespoons EVOO (three times around the pan)
1 pound ground beef, veal and pork (meatloaf mix)
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves (chopped finely or grated)
Black Pepper
1 28-oz can of Italian plum tomatoes (or any can of Italian tomatoes)
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded or torn
Handful of parsley, coarsely chopped
2 cups ricotta cheese (blondes watching their figures may opt for part-skim)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1) Cook pasta in salted water for 6-7 minutes. It should not be fully cooked. Set aside in a bowl

2) Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and break into small bits. Brown lightly for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots, onions, and garlic, season with salt and pepper. Cook 5-6 minutes to soften the veggies. Add the tomatoes to the pan and use a spoon to crush them if needed. Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes more. Fold in the basil and parsley.

3) Preheat oven to 400. Add the sauce and ricotta cheese to the pasta in a large bowl (or you can just use the cooking pot). Transfer to casserole dish, top with the grated cheese.

4) Bake for 15 minutes to get top of casserole crusty.

5) Serve with a green salad and ENJOY! Bask in the reflected praise of your dinner guests or favorite brunette (or blonde).

Rayati,
JJ
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Skillet Tamale Pie (requested by Miss Bethune) Reply with quote

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
4 cups chicken stock, plus additional for loosening polenta
2 cups milk
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeńo pepper, chopped
2-3 large cloves garlic
3/4 pound ground beef sirloin
3/4 pound ground pork
1 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
Salt and pepper
1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
2 cups quick-cook polenta, found in Italian foods or specialty foods aisles
1/4 cup (a generous handful) cilantro leaves, chopped
2 scallions, sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preparation:
Pre-heat broiler to high.
Arrange a cutting board close to the stove top – it will help speed things up when you start to chop and add the veggies.
Pre-heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about one tablespoon. In another pot over medium-high heat, pour in the chicken stock and milk for the polenta. Give the bacon a quick rough chop and add to the pre-heated skillet.

Cook bacon until just barely crispy, about 2-3 minutes. While the bacon is cooking, start chopping your veggies (the onion, pepper and garlic).

Turn the heat up to high under the skillet with the bacon and add the ground meats, breaking the meats up into small bits with the back of a wooden spoon.

Add the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Add all the chopped veggies and the can of tomato sauce to the skillet and bring up to a bubble. Let simmer while you finish putting together the polenta.

Pour the quick-cook polenta in a slow, steady stream into the boiling stock/milk mixture, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper, then add the cilantro and sliced scallions.

You want the polenta to be relativity easily to pour, so if you need to add more chicken stock to loosen it up, go for it! Pour the polenta immediately into the skillet over the simmering meat mixture in as even a layer as possible; give it a shake to settle it on top evenly.

Top with the cheddar cheese and transfer to the broiler to brown up, about 3-4 minutes.

Remove and serve straight from the skillet. I recommend letting the meal "rest" for about 5 minutes so it comes out of the pan neatly.

Enjoy and Rayati,
Jullianna Juliesse
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Broccoli Rabe and Salami Pasta Reply with quote

Served last night. We call it "rabes and salames" for short. . . this one was great!

Ingredients:

Salt
2 bunches broccoli rabe, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound rigatoni with lines
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at table
1/3 pound salami, Genoa, sopressata, hot or sweet, or a mix, chopped
Black pepper, to taste

Preparation:

Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven for broccoli rabe and one large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Salt the water liberally.

Simmer broccoli rabe in water for 10-12 minutes, then drain. Return the skillet to medium heat with EVOO, about four turns of the pan (eyeball it). Add garlic and red pepper to the EVOO and gently cook a couple of minutes, then add broccoli rabe and cook for 5 minutes more.

While the broccoli rabe cooks, drop in the rigatoni and cook to al dente. Just before draining, reserve 1 cup of the starchy cooking liquid.

Combine the ricotta, Parmigiano Reggiano and salami in a pasta bowl. Add the starchy liquid and stir. Add the broccoli rabe and pasta and toss for 2 minutes to coat and combine.
Cecile Landgrebe
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, have you been eating Broccoli Rabe and Salami Pasta since February? It must be really good.
MissJulianna
Splendid Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. . . it is delicious! I may whip up a batch this weekend. I have to post some new finds soon.

Rayati,
Miss Juliesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Aristasia Forums Archive Forum Index -> The Aristasia Diaries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: